At Crowstone Preparatory School French is taught from the age of 3 by a French native tutor who has more than 30 years experience. We believe strongly that the younger children start to learn a language, the easier they find it.
Children enjoy taking an active part in language lessons and spend much of their time in language lessons speaking, listening and interacting. They join in with singing, playing games and, taking part in role-plays, conversations and question and answer work. A puppet called Marionnette is used to add fun to the lesson, as well as toys and objects.
The teaching of the French language offers opportunities for children to:
- Become increasingly familiar with the sounds and written form of a modern language,
- Develop language skills and language-learning skills,
- Understand and communicate in a new language,
- Make comparisons between the foreign language and English or another language,
- Increase their cultural awareness by learning about different countries and their people, and working with materials from those countries and communities,
- Foster positive attitudes towards foreign language learning,
- Use their knowledge with growing confidence and competence to understand what they hear and read and to express themselves in speech and in writing,
- Form a sound basis for further study at Key Stage 3 and beyond.
Mme C Hindle